Monday 4 March 2013

Sleepless

I lie awake in my bed
straight, like an arrow or a dart.
Hoping to spear sleep
through its soft white underbelly.
Yet thoughts keep circling
like restless swallows
through my troubled mind.

I hear a train rumble like thunder
along the tracks in the distance
and pierce the night with its shriek.
City-bound bodies face the tracks in the morning,
and so do the hurt souls in the night.
Now that the West Gate Bridge is fenced,
the desperate instead catch the front of passing trains.

These thoughts will not help me sleep, so
I seek solace in breathing in time
to the breath of my other, as he slumbers
this night, deeply and peacefully.
A calmness settles, as I listen to the night birds awaken
become morning birds, 
and sing me into the day.


© Jennifer Phillips (All rights reserved)
Old train at Pioneer Settlement - Swan Hill © Jennifer Phillips

No comments:

Post a Comment