Saturday 8 February 2014

Agapanthus - African Lily

You may not be willing to notice me.
I have an awkward sense of myself.
My name can be hard on the tongue.
I do not grow easily in places
where the sun only fitfully appears.

I've come a long way northwards.
Gardens do not flatter my needs.
I am a shy sheltered plant - my leaves
first come above the earth slowly - 
serpenting about, tasting the air.

Then my stalks flex tentatively
skywards uncertain of grace - people
walk by me curiously, expecting dis-
appointment when my flowers deign
to curtsey boorishly into the light.

They ignore I'm Agape not Eros, 
my passion is a mute kind of longing - 
a fund of good-feeling - I blend
much more than possess (respect
distance) bestow, rather than demand.

My flowers voice outwards - trumpets
toned down to temper their height.
My scores are obliged to be gentle.
I use only circumspect colours.
Love is better for not being showy.

by Rg Gregory
Agapanthus © Jennifer Phillips

No comments:

Post a Comment