Friday 8 November 2013

In the dark

Sometimes I feel like I'm in the dark,
even when I am sitting in a sunny park.

Trying to find my voice in the clutter of my mind,
I seek soul's solace, yet do not find.

Sometimes I feel as though my breath is
sucked away by a thousand other inhalations.

Feels like shouting silently across a crowded mall, 
words echo down my mind - that harlequin hall.

Wrapped up alone in my soul's shawl, 
every day I feel I'm gonna fall.

Everything I once held dear
I no longer hold so near.

I let it drip like blood between my fingers, 
slip from my grasp, but my ennui lingers.

I feel only now I'm finding my voice,
and you can't sing the songs of my choice.

One day I might wake into who I truly am - with you, or without you.
Until then, I stay down. With my demons.


© Jennifer Phillips (All rights reserved)
Shawl © Jennifer Phillips

No comments:

Post a Comment