Thursday 25 July 2013

Decisions

I
Words are so powerful
they can rip the stars
from the firmament - 
get all tangled up 
and glitter there, lost 
among our heartstrings.

II
Kicking the leaves
down the pavement
I question everything.
We are older now.
17 years older.
We are old, yet new.

III
Have I really lived -  
grabbed everything
that came my way... 
having once felt 
the insistent breath
of death against my cheek?

IV
Is there an intoxicating flavour 
of happiness
I will likely never taste 
without you,
and I will crave it?
Is this love selfish?
Would fundamental structures 
break inside us, if we leapt?

V
I raise my face
to the icy wind
dry latent tears
behind my eyelids.
So much to gain,
a separate life to lose.

VI
I was never one to cast my dice to chance.
My gut and heart clench with certainty
yet my head rationalises, and thoughts
circle like birds on the sky.
I clench my teeth and my fists
on a decade's frustration.


© Jennifer Phillips (All rights reserved)
Autumn leaves - Copyright Free Images

No comments:

Post a Comment