Tuesday 29 January 2013

Unfinished business

You slide back into my world
subtly, as if you never left.
I live and walk a waking dream - 
Did all those years mean nothing?

We were nothing, really,
just words which leapt off the page.
Yet these words burn fresh
in my subtext, always.

A life half-lived, or a safe bet.
Unknown blessings from shared fruits
Soul's connection cannot sustain - 
I need your presence, so I can feel you.

Worlds apart, we whisper bandwidth
with hearts' echoes down the years
All that we have is ephemeral,
and our lives' responsibilities hem us in.

Creativity stifled, we fall on our swords.
Words are wings, fly me to you - 
Minds' connection, soul shards, moon harvested,
yet gifts of flesh not exchanged.

My lover of words, my muse, my bard,
Can we wait a lifetime
or like moths to a flame,
fall exhausted, for want of a better dance?


© Jennifer Phillips (All rights reserved)
Sunset over Murray River at Swan Hill © Jennifer Phillips

1 comment:

  1. I am not sure if the speaker in this poem is lucky or cursed! Makes me think of Do Not Go Gentle Into That Goodnight http://www.poets.org/viewmedia.php/prmMID/15377

    ReplyDelete