Saturday 26 January 2013

Jim Unger: "Herman"

My favourite comic is "Herman" by Jim Unger, who sadly passed away last year.

"To me, life is like an orchard. You pick the fruit when you see it. For years, I bummed around the world looking for happiness. Then one day I realised happiness isn't something you find. All the happiness in the world is between your two ears." 
From "Herman - The Third Treasury".

I also quote the final part of his essay at the start of "Herman - The Fourth Treasury":

"....If you want to be creative or artistic, forget groups. Incidentally, that includes race, nationality, religion, politics, and football teams. Whatever else it does it will make you a lot happier; and that's what this book is all about anyway.

One of my favourite quotations came from a Zen philosopher many, many years ago. He wrote, 'Painting a beautiful picture is simple. First become a beautiful person, then paint naturally.'

I sincerely believe that there is a natural beauty in all of us, buried beneath misconception and self-conscious awareness. Naturalness unmolested is always beautiful, just as art is always beautiful.

Whether we are sixteen or sixty, it's a strange irony that the more natural we are, the more attractive we are to others. Sadly, we are very often led to believe the exact opposite.

Love is blind because it lives in that part of the brain that is beyond the reach and control of your thoughts. You can't think you love; you know it.

Thoughts and senses provide all the information, but only the mind can love, just as only the mind can fear. This being so, our minds often feel alone and lost in the universe and are quick to find comfort in the naturalness of others. When we catch a glimpse of true nature, we rejoice in it because we see ourselves in the naturalness of others and realise we are amongst friends.

When I draw Herman, I draw funny-looking people, saying and doing very natural things. I know why you laugh and I think you know why you laugh. It may be a comfort to you to know that millions of other people around the world are laughing too. It's certainly a comfort to me. I was beginning to think I was on the wrong planet.

I hope this book makes you happy."

To view a selection of his works, please see: http://www.gocomics.com/herman

No comments:

Post a Comment