Saturday 2 January 2016

Back, Mac

Something has been knocking 
at the door of my mind, trying to get out.
Not really a poem, not really prose.
I propose, I suppose.

Sometimes I feel like a piece of flotsam
washed along on humanity's tide.
As if a clever bit of writing will save me.
Fuck that.

If you're lucky in love you'll diverge 
in a few glorious eddies
Oh, but caught up in kissing 
drop Charon's coin.

So many different people, so many different lives.
I want to snatch a piece of what they're having.
Maybe I'm greedy.
Maybe I'm starved.

I'm a fan of experience.
I experienced forceps, 
forcibly forced
into the world before my time.

I seek to go back 
pick up those lessons I missed
so I can go forward 
and not fall.

Watch me, see me? 
Monitor me
hanging off this open door
while you eat your Apple, Mac.

Now watch me fall, forwards
fall for you...
Catch me, 
are you ready?

What if you know you're in the wrong place
and time's made of you a laughing-stock?
Life's a waiting game.
Games are fun?

Feels like I've been asleep 
100 years waiting on 
Prince Charming's kiss.
I want-can't-wait to feel it.

Careering around corners 
windows down, trying not to feel.
Wicker basket, 
fried chicken in the back.

© Jennifer Phillips (All rights reserved)
La barca de Caront, Josep Benlliure Gil, Museu de Belles Arts de València

No comments:

Post a Comment