Friday 28 June 2013

On female midlife crises

"Being happy in middle age cannot happen unless you work out what you want first. 
But knowing what it is, and fixing it? Not the same thing."
by Sharon Horgan

"There is a fantasy that hits you in mid life when you're in the middle of all the working, and the responsibilities, and the mortgage, and that is:  'Could I set fire to my life - just leave it all behind - escape, radically downsize?' And it is tempting, but not many people have got the balls to actually do it."
by Sharon Horgan

"I think a midlife crisis turns up when you exceed your ability to live up to other peoples' expectations."
by Maree (program participant)

"Women live a long time. I'm going to live a long time and I need to start seeing my life as the middle of my life - not the end of my life. And the women I met - they didn't just think: 'This is crap.' They got hold of their lives and shook them. Getting older and saggier and closer to death ... it's not the cheeriest thought, but it is a chance to make some drastic changes and I don't think women did that before. I think they would pop a valium and just go quietly mad behind net curtains. I think a fully blown, well executed midlife crisis is the way forward. And if that doesn't work, I'm just going to hit the gin."

From "Sharon Horgan's Women: 'On the Verge of a Midlife Crisis'"
Sharon Horgan
My opinion is that women who have tried all their lives to please others and do the right thing would be far more likely to have a midlife crisis. I think a crisis might occur once their children are grown, and they have a little time to themselves to look around them and to start putting some of their own long-held plans or desires into place. Perhaps they largely skipped a rebellious phase in their youth. 

More:
- "The female midlife crisis" [Sydney Morning Herald] January 27, 2013
- "The rise of the female midlife crisis" [The Telegraph] March 27, 2011
- "Midlife crises: Middle-aged women have them too" [Mail Online] March 2, 2011

Midlife Crisis Quiz [GoToQuiz]

My results: You are 29% likely to be experiencing a midlife crisis.
You might be experiencing a midlife crisis, but it's not very likely. You may have some regrets about your past, and may at times wish things could be different, but overall you're a calm and stable individual with a bright outlook and realistic goals.

No comments:

Post a Comment