Friday 31 May 2013

It's been a good thing and might again

Here is a poem by my former lover and best friend, Ray Lear, who passed away at the age of 37, from a sudden brain tumour. He is sorely missed. I used to call him Quip - we were always having a laugh. Here is a poem he wrote for me. 29/3/1997:


I peer through work-a-day window
Searching vainly for that beautiful vision.
Without her ice-cream has no taste
Laughter sounds like tears.
My all for one sweet kiss, one more slap-head.
I look to the empty pillow beside me
Once soft, now made of stone.
Wrapping myself in the warm quilt of memories,
I dream...
Perfectly fitting lips that filled my soul,
when met.

Hair of spun silk framing a face of both beauty and character
Bright, intelligent eyes that search to see more
Hands capable of the most caring touch
Or setting the flesh afire
We went trekking in the stars as our
worlds spun faster.
Heart of bread devoured as if it were each other's
Long walks, hand on leg while driving - 
I don't remember it ever having not been there.

Every meal a feast of senses
Six gifts of flesh exchanged, sublime, savoured, treasured, eternal.
French, the language of love was ours
Spoken without words.
In love and making love she cried
'This is how it should be!'
Empty words or a standard set
Your glow not from the sun but from within.
Linga longa in my heart beautiful Jennifer, Linga longa.

by Ray Lear
Ray

No comments:

Post a Comment