Wednesday 15 May 2013

Days like beads of tears

The days pass like beads 
along a necklace of tears
I am as driftwood floating 
on humanity's aimless tide, 
rise pale and naked, 
washed, scoured by tears. 

Heart's a solid piece, 
eyes see only stones and crows.
No playful symphony of birds, 
only soughing of wind in pines.
A lonely cavity couched in emptiness, 
words drip and ripples expand.

After a momentous day, 
the ensuing days
follow one another sheepishly 
in pale comparison
to the extraordinary events 
of that incredible day.

Whether I look back 
in wonder and delight
or creep haltingly, 
counting days or stitches, 
I founder in the return 
to routine and normalcy.

Days drip slowly like tears, 
a string of rosary beads
and I question that once 
having tasted Heaven or Hell,
can I stomach banality
and paste a smile?


© Jennifer Phillips (All rights reserved)
Beads - a chain of tears © Jennifer Phillips

No comments:

Post a Comment