Saturday 21 December 2013

I have come out of a 45 hour migraine

One of the days I had the migraine it was 40°C = 104°F and the airconditioner broke. It was tough, really tough.. and so here is a reprise of my "migraine" poem:

"Migraine"

Slow spinning trails of dullness 
churn in my brain.

Dull ache spreads, 
sharp pressing fingers encroach.
The world stutters and wavers - 
fogbound I curl.

Pain slices through my vision 
and my thoughts,
concertinas this throbbing corner 
of my mind.

Thunder and lightning flash 
as synapses fail.
I writhe, 
hands pressing into temples.

Darkness draws me, 
sounds splinter in my head.
I crave to crawl into a black hole, 
hibernate, nurse this pain.

Days on, I open my eyes clear to the world.
Cautiously I make my way into the day.
The day is fresh and new, and I am free of pain.
Joyful in normalcy.

How quickly I forget its grip.


© Jennifer Phillips (All rights reserved)
Rocks at Sorrento © Jennifer Phillips

No comments:

Post a Comment